Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Day 13.03

At the base of it we find Matt. On the side of road, pushing a trolley, he’s walking around Australia to raise money for ‘Canteen’. An organization that helps teens fighting cancer. He was a nurse at emergency and saw them at their worst. He also saw ‘Canteen’ at their best and what an awesome job they were doing and decided to help. He started in Melbourne. He put on his third new pair of shoes along the journey just yesterday. “Today is my 52nd day on the road.” he said. Chewie, honoured, shakes his hand: “There are real people still left around. You’re awesome. What a man!” The trolley, or rather a cart, was filled with backpacks and supplies, on the top of which I noticed some mobile/cell phone looking thing. (Please, pardon me, just a smidgen ‘technologically challenged’.) “I have a GPS and I had a support person who walked with me from Ceduna to the Border, but he had to return to go back to work.”

As Matt pulls out his coin jar, or rather collection can, with a handle, actually, Chewie, reaches into his back pocket as he does at times like these: “No, not coins. They’re too heavy to cart around.” Chewie scolds me, having noticed my reach into our coin jar. Forever practical. “The man’s got a long way to go.” Then he turns to Matt: “We’re a bit tight mate. I hope it’s enough.”

If you see Matt on the road, stop and say ‘hi’ and give generously. If you’re not in his geographical vicinity, mail a cheque or do an eft. And if it happens that you have the opportunity to come across a ‘good cause’, revel in the enjoyment of giving.

When we set off again Chewie is beside him self. “What a man! I’m all inspired. I want to do something as well. I think I will donate $1 from each CD purchased to Canteen.” So, now with extra incentive, please order your CD’s from our Walkabout – Talkabout when we get the details up!

‘make sure to visit the Canteen website to check on his progress’

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely to see our son Matt on your website He is the one pushing the trolley around Australia raising money for canteen. What a great cause and achievement.