Sunday, June 25, 2006

Day 7 15th June 2006

The magpies sing their greeting to the dawn of another day. It’s very cold. It’s very frosty. Even chillier than yesterday at –1.5 degrees.

“I’ve got to get up!” and he’s off. The sun has barely cleared the gentle hill of coffin Bay and the children are already gathering at the bus stop. Some get dropped off by mum or dad. Some walk dragging their feet over the frosty wooden bridge, then looking back at the patterns thy have made.

Morning frost

Another couple passes the park and stops to say hello and have a chat with one of the neighbpurs. I sit observing. Soaking in the harmony and calm.

“Hi sweetheart, I’m back.” Chewie greets me. While he was updating the Blog and burning more images onto the next CD’s I’ve been merrily typing away, transcribing my notes. Sitting in the back of the van, in a half lotus position or a wide 2nd (that’s yoga and ballet – for those who rely purely on chairs),my trusty laptop propped upon folded blankets. “I’m almost done.” I replied. I got completely lost in time.

“Oh, shit!” exclaims Chewie as he turns the key in the ignition. “Click”. “Click.”

Who’s the dill? “It’s quite elementary my dear Watson. When you’re on the computer and it’s in the charger charging, you’ve got to turn the engine over every so often to re-charge the battery, so the van can start,” I think to myself. “Great, and we were wanting to go to the National Park and Coffin Bay surrounds for the afternoon light show.”

Chewie took it quite well. Never fear. We have roadside assistance covered and a strong signal on the mobile phone. I made the call. A friendly voice asks: “and which state are you in?” ‘Panicked’ would have been a good thing to say. “South Australia,” I answered. “And the name of the town?” he asked. “Coffin Bay.” I replied. “Is that C-O-F-F ..as in..?” “Yes” I said. “As in dead. Dead battery, that is.” We both giggled.

Before the hour was through Chris rocked up in his jeep. ‘Coffin Bay Motors & Marine’ to the rescue. A polite and knowing look and a moment later the ignition turned over and the motor was running.

Chris to the rescue

I guess we take our electricity supply a bit for granted. We are quite spoilt in the city.

Before he left Chris suggested that we check out Fowler’s Bay, past Ceduna. The twinkle in his eyes suggested a tranquil place. We shall see.

Meanwhile, it was back to what has become a routine timetable. Chasing the sunset.

No comments: